It is estimated that 1/3 of American women suffer from spider veins in some degree. Spider veins can be red, blue, or purple veins that lie immediately below or on the skin’s surface. Spider veins are commonly found on the thighs, calves, and ankles, but may be seen in other locations like the face or chest.
Spider veins usually appear as one of three patterns or shapes
- Spider pattern with veins radiating out from a central point
- Tree or branch-like structure usually seen on the anterior and lateral thighs
- Thin, separate lines typically seen on the medial thigh and inner knees
Cosmetic or Medical
At Spa Medical, our practitioners perform thorough screenings on your spider veins to ensure that the veins will respond to cosmetic treatment alone. If spider veins are caused by an underlying medical reason, cosmetic treatment will not be of benefit. At Spa Medical, we will make sure that your condition is truly cosmetic in nature before you invest in treatments. If you are suffering from a medical vein condition, we will refer you to our Medical Director, Dr. Ken Harper’s practice at Vein Specialists of the South.
Contributing Factors for Spider Veins
- Heredity – Most people who have spider veins, have a close relative who has them as well.
- Pregnancy – Women often develop spider veins with pregnancy due to hormonal influence, the increase blood volume, and increased pressure on your blood vessels.
- Gender – Women are more likely than men to suffer from spider veins and more likely to care!
- Activity or occupation – Those who spend their work day sitting or standing could be more predisposed to spider veins.
- Other contributing factors which could lead to spider veins include aging, obesity, or injury.
Treatment of Spider Veins
To determine the most effective means to treat your spider veins we recommend coming in for a consultation with one of the specialists at Spa Medical.
We examine your legs, determine the source of the problem, and recommend the best treatment option for your spider veins. We have the resources, equipment, and expertise to determine and treat the underlying cause of your problem for a lasting, more effective treatment. Our goal is to get your legs as clear as possible and then maintain those results.
Most of our patients have the best results from sclerotherapy for treating spider veins in the legs. We also have a vascular laser that is especially effective for treatment of facial spider veins. However, like most physicians who specialize in the treatment of varicose and spider veins in the legs, we have seen that sclerotherapy remains the most effective treatment.
If you would like to know more about spider veins, schedule a consultation today and discover which treatment is right for you.